Thursday, August 18, 2011

30-day idol challenge: Day 15

Double whammy again!

Day 15: Your favorite Momoiro Clover member?

Hayami Akari

I know, I know...she graduated in April. But she will always be my favorite. None of the other members even come close to her. Akari had an incredible singing voice, she was an amazing rapper (I won't even consider listening to the album version of "Mirai Bowl" because they took her part out), and she has some fantastic acting chops. She was a truly special talent, and while it sucks that she left, I support her decision to leave 200%. I was actually going to write a big huge post on her graduation back when it happened, but April was a crappy month for me, so I didn't. But I can now!

While Akari was a really amazing performer and singer, she never fit the idol mold. She stood out from the other Momoclo members in a lot of ways. First of all, she doesn't have a very "idoly" face. She is easy on the eyes, don't get me wrong, but she has a different look to her that set her apart, particularly in, yes, the eyebrow region. When Akari was playing characters (e.g. "Danny" in the Mirai Bowl PVs), they suited her well and added a little extra je ne sais quoi to her phenomenal theatrical talent. However, for her face shape in general, I personally don't think they suit her. I do, however, have a teensy bias in this area from personal experience. My face is shaped similarly to hers, and I had even thicker brows for much of my young life. But when I got them waxed when I was 15, I got so many compliments that I never let them grow out again. (And if you do it long enough, they stop growing back, as mine have). Moral of the story: I personally think she would benefit from a bit of a trim to bring out how pretty her face is.

Secondly, Akari's acting abilities really broke down when Momoclo did "idoly" things for audiences. You know, things like acting hyper-feminine and happy. In almost every live show or variety event I saw them do, Akari was never quite on the ball. She could never fake all those screechy and giggly moments as well as everyone else could. And she knows it to this day. I honestly don't believe she was very comfortable with those events and having to act like that. It is very easy to see that it is just not in her nature to do those things. And it doesn't have to be.

Momoclo is lacking that spark for me now that Akari is gone, but I am very glad that she left and is going her own way now. I hope we get to see more of her in the future.


Day 15: Favorite Morning Musume member?


Again, my #1 already got a day, so today goes to:

Mitsui Aika

Gimpy Lou Who!!! Gah, I hope the poor girl gets better soon--I miss her!!

I didn't really know much about Aika until early this year because, let's face it, she gets zero promotion and probably will continue to do so until she graduates :( Le sads. But Hello Pro Time has really been able to highlight how awesome she is for me. She's so cute and fun to be around--none of the other members seem to feel uncomfortable around her. She has also proven herself to be a very helpful (if a bit strict) senpai. I would love to see her as leader someday. She'd kick ass.

I find her speaking voice and sharky smile quite endearing--I just wish they would quit giving her sharky hair.

2 comments:

brian said...

I totally agree with you on Akari. She added something extra to that group, and their new material just isn't the same without her.

I can understand why she wouldn't want to continue on. As you said, she really didn't fit the traditional idol mold. That really hurt her chances of gaining a large fanbase. I know someone who would attend live Momoclo events and he would say that she'd often have barely anyone in her line for handshaking. Who would want to stick around for that?

Mara said...

No kidding! I'd have left with two middle fingers blazing.