Wednesday, August 31, 2011

30 day idol challenge: Day 27

Day 27: Idol that holds a special place in your heart?

Akimoto Sayaka

I'm breaking my "one idol per day" rule for my goddess of AKB. I love this girl (She's the only AKB member so far that I have a decent photo collection of--I do hope to change that :P). She has an incredible voice, a powerful stage presence and a fascnating look. She is so much more than her idol character, and she showed that after that stupid scandal when she decided to make amends by running the Tokyo Marathon.

Not just any marathon. The Tokyo Marathon. The Tokyo marathon is one of the hardest races to get into. You don't have to be an Olympic runner (though many of them do run this race), and the course isn't all that hard (pavement + sea level = heaven). But there is an entry limit of 32,000 participants, and a time limit of 7 hours. 7 hours is not easy unless you regularly train, which Sayaka didn't until she decided to enter. Her time was only 8 minutes under the limit, and she is in superfabtastic shape, which shows how tough running a marathon really is. The point was not getting a great time--it's that she finished; an accomplishment which few people can brag about. This is an incredible accomplishment, scandal or no scandal.

Sayaka inspired me to try and match an accomplishment like this. I've never been a good athlete--I was the laughingstock of the track team in junior high and the swim team in high school. But the challenge is what I am after in this. Like Sayaka, I also feel like I have a few things to atone for in my life. And if she can do it, so can I.

No comments: