Saturday, December 15, 2012

Ieiri Leo wins Billboard's Best New Artist award


Today, Ieiri Leo got the best belated birthday gift EVER!  Leo, who turned 18 on the 13th, was awarded the coveted "Best New Artist" award by Billboard Japan.  And all I have to say on that subject is OH HELL YEAH!!!!

Frankly, I think I would have crapped my pants if someone else had gotten it. I am so happy to see someone with such amazing raw talent get the award.  I was really bummed last year when the ever ubiquitous Kaoru to Tomoki, Tama ni Mook got the award.  We all know that they got it for no other reason than people love to watch cute kids being cute.  In 2010, when 4minute won it, I was pretty stoked, but still not thrilled--even though 4minute is one of my favorite Korean groups (and the group whose Japanese releases I follow most closely), I frankly don't think idol groups should win that particular award unless they have a lot of creative input in their releases (like, say, Brown Eyed Girls or BiS).  Call me an elitist wench, but I think that's how it should be.

In any case, Leo is an amazing singer and songwriter, and I hope next year brings even more awards her way.  Congratulations, Leo!  I can't wait for your next single!

No comments: