Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Precious, hot, hot mess of the week: Linda III Sei


There's a new group in town, and, well, hooooooo boy...they are terrible.

Amazingly, awesomely, supremely terrible.

I LOVE IT!     *sparkles*

Linda III Sei (Linda Sansei) is a new indie idol group whose members are all of Brazilian-Japanese descent, and their average age is 13.5.  "Linda" is a feminine word meaning "beautiful" in Portuguese.  Meet the members of Linda III Sei:

(Super high-tech graphic courtesy of moi.  And yes, Shiori and Sayuri are *confirmed* twins.)

Anyway, as you can see, they're all freaking adorable.  As far as idol skills go, though, that's about all they've got going for them at the moment.  They have no idea when or where to look at the camera, they can't dance...like...at all...and they need some serious work on their acting/expression skills.  They have no idea how to sing as a group, and they are really bad at lip syncing in a convincing way.  I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that these girls have probably never performed anything more complex than a school play in their lives.  

Normally, this degree of badness would make me run for the hills.  However with this group, that is partly what drew me to them.  

There is something so...idoly...about their badness.  Idols are generally supposed to be unpolished works in progress, as we know. In that respect, this group has completely captured the purest essence of being an idol.  Yet for me, there's more to it than just that.  There are plenty of fairly bad idol groups out there, and I'm willing to bet that these girls may land near the top of the bad list just because they aren't "as Japanese" as some of the others.  

Linda Sansei has a very different vibe to them, and I hope that difference helps them succeed. They have a unique chance to bring real diversity to the idol movement, as well as to introduce a whole new group of people to idol culture.  But while many fans may really get into their different-ness, it's very easy to see many being put off by it.  There is an ingrained fear of change in the idol fan community both in Japan and overseas, and I fear that this, rather than their lack of skill, will be their downfall.

But I really don't want to see that happen.

The PV for their first single, Mirai Seiki EZ ZOO, was released about a week ago, and it is some kuh-razy stuff, let me tell ya.  Take a looksee/listensee!  Trust me, it starts out sounding pretty messy.  Okay, REALLY messy.  But give it a chance.  It will grow on you.  I know, I know, I don't get it either :P



(Is Naomi not the cutest?  SRSLY.)

This PV makes me wish now more than ever that my Japanese was even remotely decent.  It is so weird, and not in that usual kooky non-sequitur-ish charming "typical" Japanese way we're accustomed to seeing from the likes of (for example) early Perfume or Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.  It's weird in an off-the-wall borderline morbid satire-looking way. And for that reason alone, I wish I could understand the lyrics better.

I really want to understand what possible connection there could be between the zombie dudes in a jail cell, the tennis balls, the farm animals, the nurses drinking wine, and the steampunkish outfits that look like they were pulled right out of a Georges Méliès film.  Seriously...I am SO confused.  And delighted.

If you're one of those people who really likes to watch the performance skills of your idols grow over time, I guarantee that you will love the pants off of this trainwreck.  Although I bet you will anyway.

Their first single is getting a DVD release on 4/24.



Lnda III Sei




No comments: